Dustin Henderson Season 3, Funkoverse Tier List, Farha Name Image, Caustic Soda Lye, August Schellenberg Daughters, Sports Job In Australia, Body Temperature Of Mammals, Wpa Projects In Louisiana, Newcomerpalmer Com Home, Midlothian Turnpike Hotels, The Football Insider Facebook, Mauldin Paver Parts, Alan David Blakley, Online Schema Training, William Henry Bloomberg Bio, Has Chris Orr Been Drafted, Double Moon Symbol, Kangaroo Island Qld, Martinez Family In Puerto Rico, How Does Tb Kill You, Super Bowl Banner 2020, Ps4 Macro 2019, Wego Flight Book, Solar Opposites (rick And Morty), Tracy Ifeachor Age, Durotan Son Go'el, Fast Food In Fenton Mi, Sacramento Zip Code Midtown, Asav Villains Wiki, Ace Hardware Sharjah, Trumansburg School District Academic Calendar, What Is Loki, The God Of, Conor Friedersdorf 1619, Atlanta Hawks Png,

We highly recommend you do not proceed with such an activity – this is known as jaywalking and can result in a £100 fine.The Knickerbocker Glory is known as an ice cream sundae which often towers some 10ft into the sky. Oxford University Press, 2002) offers this: 'A knickerbocker glory is an elaborate ice-cream dessert consisting of layers of ice-cream, jelly, fruit, and cream served in a tall glass. What’s wrong with sticking a severed hand in there? This sounds like we’re telling you to go out there and knick (steal) a bloke (or) two. The pen-name was borrowed from Irving's friend Herman Knickerbocker, and literally means "toy marble-baker," from German knicker, schoolboy slang for "marble," apparently an agent-noun from the imitative verb knikken"to snap." This subsequently became synonymous with the descendants of the original Dutch settlers in New Amsterdam, and eventually with New Yorkers in general - so a knickerbocker glory is essentially a tribute to New York. Some references claim the ice-cream desert to be a British concoction.

If you use excerpts, provide us with credit. The name "Knickerbocker" is generally associated with the early days of New York. A knickerbocker glory is a very elaborate ice cream sundae that is served in a large tall glass, particularly in the United Kingdom.

Entries related to Knickerbocker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_Times_Square: : I grew up in the NY metro area beginning in 1960, and I have to say I can't recall hearing the two words put together before.

The term is first recorded in the 1930s.' What’s all that about?

No one knows much about the history of "Knickerbocker Glory" (also spelled "Knickerbocker's Glory") -- a sundae in a tall glass, containing ice cream and fruit, and consumed with a long-handled spoon. (VSD)I'm sure that the knickerbocker glory name was taken from the earlier NY usage, but why the knickerbockers were glorious remains a mystery to me. Has anyone any knowledge of the expression being used in relation to New York? Post was not sent - check your email addresses!

It’s crammed full of ice cream (duh), fruit, bits of nuts, syrup, honey, jam, possibly haggis, and then it’s all topped off with whipped cream and one of those strange preserved cherries. 'Knickerbockers' appears to refer to early Dutch New Yorkers and 'knickerbocker glory' was used in that context before it was an ice-cream. Or else! I would have guessed it was a reference to the New York Knicks basketball team, but the team was only formed in the late 1940's and didn't achieve much glory until 1969-70.: The OED doesn't offer any explanation of the name at all.

John Ayto.

It also has a stupid name.The endearingly stupid name probably originates from the Knickerbocker Hotel in America, which opened in 1906 (and not 1907, as was violently debated at the annual Knickerbocker Glory Convention in Hull). The debate will rage on, however, as there were also Knickerbockers in the 20th century – popular knee high baggy pants as worn by the reprobate youths and golfers of the era. : : : : I'm doing some research on the origin of the name Knickerbocker Glory. It has no connection with nether garments; the term was presumably inspired by Diedrich Knickerbocker, the mock-Dutch name invented by Washington Irving for the fictitious author of his History of New York . Whilst typing out the name of this ice cream sundae we put “Knickerbloker”.

Oxford University Press, 2002) offers this: 'A knickerbocker glory is an elaborate ice-cream dessert consisting of layers of ice-cream, jelly, fruit, and cream served in a tall glass. However, "An A-Z of Food and Drink" (Ed. This subsequently … It has no connection with nether garments; the term was presumably inspired by Diedrich Knickerbocker, the mock-Dutch name invented by Washington Irving for the fictitious author of his History of New York .

The name "Knickerbocker" first acquired meaning with Washington Irving 's History of New York, which featured the fictional author Diedrich Knickerbocker, an old-fashioned Dutch New Yorker in Irving's satire of chatty and officious local history. A knickerbocker glory is a layered ice cream sundae that is served in a large tall conical glass, and to be eaten with a distinctive long spoon, particularly in the British Isles. Ah, the Knickerbocker Glory. The Knickerbocker Glory (or, Knickerbocker Sundae) has a New York name, but you'll probably have to go to the United Kingdom to get it.

New York (both state and city) were known for a long time as

The only thing we don’t get is why it hasn’t been adapted to the demands of Halloween: Knickerbocker GORY.

: : : I only found Knickerbocker Glory in one reference -- Brewer's -- and it said, "It is not clear what relationship, if any, it has with Knickerbockers." Could it have a connection with the Knickerbocker Hotel?